The Census of Population and Dwellings is a five yearly stock take of people in the Cook Islands and their housing. It is the primary source of information on the size, composition, distribution, economic activities and state of well being of the population. The most fundamental questions it will answer concern the size and distribution of the entire population, the extent to which men and women participate in the economy, and the nature of housing and household facilities. The information collected will allow policy planners to measure the developments of our society and to make decisions about future needs of our communities.
Kind of Data
Census/enumeration data [cen]
Version 01: Cleaned, labelled and de-identified (recoded)
This version of the dataset has been recoded of the version so that it can go hand in hand with provided questionnaires. Few identifiable variables were also removed, such as month and year of birth, and the Date of birth of the First and Last child.
DEMOGRAPHY AND POPULATION
LABOUR AND EMPLOYMENT
HEALTH AND DISABILITY
AGRICULTURE AND FISHING
National coverage, covering all islands of the country.
Unit of Analysis
Private and Non Private households,
Indivuals present in the Cook Islands on Census night.
A Dwelling Questionnaire must be completed for every occupied dwelling as at midnight on Census Night. A Personal Questionnaire must be completed for each and every man, woman and child alive at midnight on Census Night within the geographical boundaries of the Cook Islands, excluding those persons on foreign vessels, yachts and aircraft flying through or stopping temporarily (transitting...).
Producers and sponsors
Authoring entity/Primary investigators
Cook Islands Statistics Office (CISO)
Ministry of Finance & Economic Management
Mr. Andreas Demmke
Pacific Community (SPC)
Cook Islands Government
Deviations from the Sample Design
Dates of Data Collection (YYYY/MM/DD)
Time periods (YYYY/MM/DD)
Mode of data collection
The role of the supervisor was to supervise the data collection activities, including management of the field teams, supplies and equipment, maps and listings. The Head Office assigned the work to the superviser and interviewers nut supervisers conduct spot checks, maintained field control documents, and sent completed questionnaires and progress reports to the head office.
Type of Research Instrument
The questionnaires, published in English were divided into 2 forms:
-Dwelling questionnaire: Household characteristics, water access, electricity, facilities, cooking energy,communicatiom, waste management, involvment in agriculture fishing and livestock activities, equipment and transpor;
-Personal questionnaire: Demographic characteristics, education, health, economic activity, social welfare benefits, income and fertility.
Both forms are provided in as External Resources.
Cook Islands Statistics Office
Ministry of Finance & Economic Management
Most of the edits are part of data entry - inconsistent responses to questions will be corrected at data entry, the important part of this step is to make sure that the correct number of personal questionnaires have been completed and the dwelling type has been coded correctly.
The secrecy provisions of the Statistics Act, 1966 (section 17) guarantees the confidentiality of the respondents. Part 3 of the Act provides for a fine for improperly divulging information.
All intending users of the information will formally agree:
1. To make no copies of any files or portions of files to which s/he is granted access except those authorized by the Statistics Office.
2. Not to use any technique in an attempt to learn the identity of any person, establishment, or sampling unit not identified on public use data files.
3. To hold in strictest confidence the identification of any establishment or individual that may be inadvertently revealed in any documents or discussion, or analysis. Such inadvertent identification revealed in her/his analysis will be immediately brought to the attention of the Statistics Office.
1. The data and other materials will not be redistributed or sold to other individuals, institutions, or organizations without the written agreement of the Cook Islands Statistics Office.
2. The data will be used for statistical and scientific research purposes only. They will be used solely for reporting of aggregated information, and not for investigation of specific individuals or organizations.
3. No attempt will be made to re-identify respondents, and no use will be made of the identity of any person or establishment discovered inadvertently. Any such discovery would immediately be reported to the Cook Islands Statistics Office.
4. No attempt will be made to produce links among datasets provided by the Cook Islands Statistics Office], or among data from the [Cook Islands Statistics Office] and other datasets that could identify individuals or organizations.
5. Any books, articles, conference papers, theses, dissertations, reports, or other publications that employ data obtained from the Cook Islands Statistics Office will cite the source of data in accordance with the Citation Requirement provided with each dataset.
6. An electronic copy of all reports and publications based on the requested data will be sent to the Cook Islands Statistics Office.
The original collector of the data, the Cook Islands Statistics Office, and the relevant funding agencies bear no responsibility for use of the data or for interpretations or inferences based upon such uses.
"Cook Islands Statistics Office, Population and Housing Census 2006 (PHC 2006), Version 01 of the preserved dataset (March 2008), provided by the Microdata Library. https://microdata.pacificdata.org/index.php/home"
Disclaimer and copyrights
The user of the data acknowledges that the original collector of the data, the authorized distributor of the data, and the relevant funding agency bear no responsibility for use of the data or for interpretations or inferences based upon such uses.
Version 01 (July 2012): This is the second attempt to document the Cook Islands Population Census 2006.
Version 02 (July2019): Review of the existing documentation. Done by staff of the South-South providing country (Tonga Statistics Department) in Cook Islands.
Version 03 (August 2019): Review of the existing documentation. Done by Statistics for Development Division (SDD), Pacific Community (SPC) at Noumea, New Caledonia.